As you may or may not know I am a very pragmatic mom. Some people say I'm tough and when I am on playground duty at school, look out! I see parenting as keeping the children housed, clothed, fed and safe, as well as fostering an environment that will give these people every opportunity to at some point evolve into strong, independent adults able to make wise choices for themselves.
I had a full circle moment this morning. I was lingering in the hall at school waiting for another mom so we could go for a run. In through the door came a sweet little girl with blonde hair, blue eyes, a shiny new hot pink backpack with orange flowers and big crocodile tears.
'What's wrong?' I asked, 'I didn't want to do drop off today', she said. At our school you can drive through and drop the kids off or you can park and walk in as far as the front hall.
'Oh, you wanted your mom to walk you in?' Nodding and additional tears, 'Yes.' This was my Ahhhhh moment. Here is another 'tough' mom getting her kids used to the independent drop off. I imagine that last week, the first week of school, she told my little friend that this week they would be working on drop off and getting to class on her own. Good for her! And now I got to be the nice lady who helped her in the hallway.
'Well some days moms just need you to do drop off.', I told her. 'Would you like me to walk with you?' More nodding, she said she was in first grade. I told her I had 3 kids that had been in first grade with this particular teacher, but they were all older now. Small smile.
It really was a rewarding interaction. I'm all for fostering independence and supporting those parents who are struggling to do the same. We are all in this together, whether we realize it or not.
Search This Blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Boys of Summer
"The boys of Summer" is one of those phrases that I've heard most of my life it seems. I did have a vague notion that it had t...
-
Twenty five years ago we were waiting to have our first child. All the worry, anxiety, anticipation, fear, exhaustion of pregnancy ending ...
-
It's been a minute. Time has a way of moving forward unimpeded regardless of our documenting and chronicling its every moment. Now in m...
No comments:
Post a Comment