Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I'm falling for Fall

We are so lucky living in the Northwest, I know people say that a lot, but really this year the weather has been stellar! The air is clear and clean and this lingering Summer is just indescribable. I was able to run outside all year long. That can get kind of sketchy in the winter, because I am a bit of a weather wiener. I mean if it is raining and its a race, well there is no help for it, but to voluntarily go out when its pouring down rain....... well that's another story all together.

Yesterday was the best day yet this year for a run.  I mean it!  I have to admit I am normally a summer runner.  I love to be up just as the sun rises, when there is a cool breeze, but the air is warm and you know that as soon as the sun comes over the horizon you will be able to feel the heat on your skin.

But yesterday, was gorgeous.  Cool, but still warm enough for short sleeves and no gloves yet! I didn't go out until 11 or so, had to get the groceries purchased and put away, I hate it when daily chores get in the way of my run. :-) (I did get some pumpkin biscotti and pumpkin cinnamon rolls by the way.)

Anyway, by then the fog had burned off, it was sunny and breezy, but not too windy.  Every corner I turned had glorious leaves drifting down. They were made even more colorful by the still warm fall sun. I just kept finding myself thinking, 'It is so beautiful out!'

I do love this time of year, the change and the mystery. Things hunkering down and putting themselves to bed for the winter, yet going out in a blaze of glory with crimson leaves and russet mums.  All the crisp, crunchy apples, and the rich, smooth squash.  Piles of pumpkins, squash and gourds bright and inviting outside all the grocery stores and weekend markets.

It may all be coming to an end with the rain setting in.  The wind and wet downing the leaves into slick, slippery piles, but yesterday, it was the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pre-Retirement Days

 When my husband and I were still in the thick of kids in school, sports, dance, summer jobs for all the them, both of us working. Trying to...